Tuesday, May 8, 2012

reflections of a thirty-one year old...

Thirty-one things I've learned in thirty-one years...

1) Being in your thirties does not make you old... (contrary to what I believed when I was 16).

2) Reading is actually an enjoyable hobby.

3) Macaroni & Cheese alone is not considered a complete meal... (I know, I was shocked too).

4) Snail mail and stickers are just as exciting at 31 as they were when you were 13.

5) Flinstone vitamins are not candy.

6) Your mother can actually be both your mom and your best friend.

7) High school was in fact a very long time ago... 13 years ago actually... so referring to high school as if it just happened is no longer acceptable.

8) Having a handful of really amazing heart-to-heart friends is way better than having a zillion Facebook friends.

9) Staying up until 2:00am now comes with major repercussions the next day.

10) Shopping in the juniors section only makes your feel old and fat.

11) Life does not generally happen in the timeline you create in your teens... (thank goodness).

12) Contrary to what your mom always said when making faces to your younger sister... your face won't actually stay like that.

13) It's perfectly acceptable to go to the grocery store and only buy tampons and chocolate.

14) You no longer care what the 16 year old cashier thinks when you purchase above mentioned items.

15) It is crucial to own at least one amazing little black dress.

16) Playing MASH is not an accurate way to plan your future.

17) Never go bathing suit shopping in the pale months of winter.

18) You might not always get to do what you like... but you can choose to like what you do.

19) You are never too old for snow cones or cotton candy.

20) Marriage is hard work... but totally worth it.

21) Never underestimate the power of homemade cookies... (both given and received).

22) You never outgrow glitter nail polish.

23) The things you are stressing about right now will eventually seem small and distant.

24) Getting carded gets more exciting (and more appreciated) every year.

25) Your little sister will end up being one of your very best friends.

26) Hot dogs always taste better at baseball games.

27) A real calendar/planner always beats out a smart phone.

28) You never outgrow being Daddy's little girl.

29) Dating your husband is allowed... and encouraged.

30) Handwritten thank you notes are always a good idea.

31) Thirty-one is the new twenty-one...

9 comments:

Christiana A said...

Love this reflection. Came across your blog last week, loved it and started following right away. Totally agree with and can relate to #8,9,13,15,18 and 20 even though I'm still in my twenties.

Michelle said...

MASH!! haha! I remember that! Loved it! And yes, NOT a good way to plan your future...BUT fun!

Amy said...

Great list! Love it and can relate to it all rather well.
Btw...I hope you had a happy birthday!
I'm a loser.

Unknown said...

I love this! I'm already there with you on almost all of them even though I'm ten years younger...lol. :)

It sounds like you had a FABULOUS birthday!! I'm so glad--you totally deserve it. :)

Blessings to you, Julia!

Salena said...

Looks like a good list to me! I told you 31 is not bad!

Katie said...

i love these!! my mom is seriously my best friend, and I have also discovered that I can not shop in the jr. section even though I occasionally still try but always fail and feel worse after!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Macaroni & Cheese alone is not considered a complete meal??? Well this is not a good revelation at all to me :-)

Chrystina said...

I loved reading some of these!! Some of them reminded me how much I have grown up from being a kid and some of them reminded me how much further I have to go until I'm 31. (I'm 23)

For example, right now I think there are different versions of macaroni and cheese... the kid version out of the box and the adult version with the breadcrumbs.

Garretts said...

you nailed it. great, insightful observations, 31 is so wise...right?