Monday, March 5, 2012

cute as a button {monogram, that is}


Before Christmas last year I tried my hand at creating my very first button monogram. I made a "B" for my cousin's sweet new baby girl, Bailey... I used pink and green buttons so it would match her nursery. I loved how it turned out...

I didn't take many "progress" pictures that first time, but I knew I'd make another button monogram soon... so, lucky you... here's a little button monogram tutorial:)

This is such an easy project and probably only takes an hour or so from start to finish. It's the perfect gift... easily customized with colors and obviously the monogram. So far, I've only made these as baby gifts, but how sweet would one of these be for a wedding gift? This one is for a good friend of mine that just had a sweet baby boy last week... baby Jack.

First thing's first... gather up my supplies...
You will need: a printed monogram (I just select my letter of choice in Word, use a super large font, and print it on cardstock), an x-acto knife, scrapbook paper (I like this one that looks like burlap fabric), adhesive, and buttons... obviously.

I used my x-acto knife to basically make my own "J" stencil. I'm still working on my x-acto knife skills... it's harder than it looks, okay.

It worked out pretty nicely, if I do say so myself.

I used my homemade stencil to lightly trace a "J" onto my burlap scrapbook paper.

Here comes the hard part... you have to make an executive decision about button colors. It's tough. I decided to go with blue and green for baby Jack.

I played around with the design and placement for a while, then just used my adhesive to stick them in place. Most scrapbook adhesives will be strong enough to hold the buttons in place, but will allow you to move them around if you change your mind.

It's basically just like a puzzle from here on out... I try to alternate the colors and sizes for a pretty little mix.

And there you have it... a fancy schmancy button monogram.

And if you want to take it up a notch, buy a pretty mat and frame your awesome monogram.

Tah-dah!! Instant high-class. Now I just need a frame... hopefully baby Jack likes blue and green:)

Cute as a button, don't you think?!?

linking this up to the C.R.A.F.T. blog... go check it out... some amazing ideas over there.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

thanks! this is something I would think would be easy but now that I am seeing how you did it I realize it takes some thought to make sure the buttons FIT into the shape without looking a hotmess..well done...that's great gift...where did you get those buttons?

Anonymous said...

Love this! I may try to make this for my neice!

Anonymous said...

oh, So great! You have such an eye for these things. It's beautiful!

Thanks for sharing your process!!

Marti Kubena said...

Um, yeah, so at some point in the next two years....when we finish having children and I finally pick out bedding for the girls....can I pay you to make some of these for me? No, seriously. I'd rather pay you than make them myself.

Aroha @ Colours of Sunset said...

what an awesome idea. thanks for sharing! can't wait to make one of these for a friend of mine who just had a baby girl!

Garretts said...

cute as a button...sorry, couldn't resist.

makes me wish i just had a baby...

but, seriously, thanks for the great photos & step-by-step instructions. now i'm thinking i might could do this?

Mackenzie said...

So So Cute!

Unknown said...

what adhesive did you use? :)