Tuesday, November 1, 2011

top 10 :: things i miss from the 80s

I'm not entirely sure what prompted this "blast-to-the-past" 80s inspired post... maybe it's the leg warmers and neon sunglasses that have made a come back in the fashion world... or maybe it's just a dose of good nostalgia? Regardless, here are the top 10 things that I think should make a comeback from my childhood decade...

1) Lite Bright...
I loved these things. Maybe it's because the twinkling lights remind me of Christmas?


2) Hypercolor T-shirts...
These things were awesome. And I totally remember wearing mine in 3rd grade with my Guess jeans. Although... these shirts were not as awesome when you came inside all sweaty from recess... think, major color changes in the arm pit area.


3) Troll Dolls...
Okay, okay... maybe these guys don't really need to make a comeback. They are a little creepy looking now that I think about it. But I honestly remember troll dolls being the go-to birthday party gift from 3rd-5th grade.


4) The Wonder Years...
This show was by far my favorite childhood tv show. Kevin Arnold was totally swoon-worthy and I thought Winnie was just the absolute coolest. My family watched this show together every week... this and Rosanne.


5) Teddy Ruxpin...
I mean, what kid wouldn't want a teddy bear to read books to them, while creepishly blinking it's heavy eye lids? Okay, so again, this is one that looks a tad creepier as an adult... but I blame that on scary movies with talking, nightmarish dolls named Chuckie.


6) Super Mario Bros...
Best.game.ever. Forget all the new Play Stations, XBoxes and Wii's... old school Nintendo was the way to go. I was really awesome at Super Mario Bros... and I'm pretty sure the first time I ever said a cuss word was while playing this game... I got in trouble. I bet you've already started humming the Mario song in your head... duu, duu, duu, dupdupdupduu, duu, duu, duu...


7) Slap Bracelets...
These things should totally make a comeback. Maybe in leopard print? I would wear them.


8) Big Bangs...
Fine... we won't bring back the big bangs... or the Aqua Net hairspray. But I mean, can we talk about how awesome these bangs are? Hairstyles from the 80s took some serious effort... and hairspray.


9) Girl Talk...
If Super Mario Bros is the best game ever, then Girl Talk is a close second... then Mall Madness. Girl Talk was the game at every single slumber party I went to from 4th-6th grade... with super intense truth questions like, "What boy do you like?" or crazy dare-devil dares like, "Put an ice cube down your shirt and let it melt." I know, right. And if you didn't agree to the terms of your "truth or dare" card you had to wear a zit sticker for the rest of the game! Scandalous.


10) The Breakfast Club...
Last... but certainly not least... one of the best movies of all time... The Breakfast Club. I think I need to watch this soon... next weekend, maybe.


There you have it... the decade of my youth. Linking this up to Oh Amanda's Top 10 Tuesday.

17 comments:

Lena B, Actually said...

Girl Talk!!! I had that game, love it!!
Actually, this whole list is an awesome blast from the past!
Remember slouch socks!? haha
Great post!

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite post!!! I miss all of those things from the 80's too!!! O' Girl Talk...we played that at every slumber party!!! My husband and I have started watching The Wonder Years on netflix...they have all the seasons :)!!! I heart the 80's!!! Great post ;)!!!

Ashley said...

This post is a blast from the past!!! haha! I miss lite brite for sure!!!

Danielle said...

Love your list! Clearly I'm a child of the 80's because I recognize every single thing. I had totally forgotten about Girl Talk though!

Unknown said...

OMG... Girl Talk! What a joke... That's one game I hope my daughters never have to play. A zit sticker if you don't succumb to peer pressur? Unbelievable! I had totally forgotten about
Girl Talk. This is a great list, Julia!

The BLESSED Braswell's at "The Branch" said...

Great List!! I remember all of those fun games and hot items of the 80's. And I do have to admit I do own a leopard-print slap bracelet, my little girl tries to steal it from me so don't get to accessorize with it too often!

Shari said...

Haha I LOVE this list. I have to confess that I had (probably still have at my parent's house) a troll collection. So many great memories here. :)

Jamie Kubeczka said...

OMG!! I had a collection of troll dolls. LOL. And Lite Bright was the bomb!

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

this.is.awesome. and i totally had girl talk!!! and mall madness! hahaha

Unknown said...

I had a Lite Bright when I was little--and I was born in 1991! :D I loved that thing.

Some of this stuff was definitely still in vogue in the 90's. Some of it...hair and clothing styles...I really hope does NOT make a comeback!!

Kari said...

This brought back a lot of great memories. I was born in 1980 so I got to experience it all. And I would also rank lightbright as #1 too :)

Ashley said...

Love it! I had a hypercolor t-shirt. This whole list is awesome.

Salena said...

This list could be mine! I had forgotten about the hypercolor t-shirts and Girl Talk! My sister and friends and I played that game over and over! Thanks for the blast to the past!

hillary c. said...

You dont have to feel super old this week. :-) I was a big fan/remember 8 of 10 of these things from growing up. :-) Mario was the bomb.

Mackenzie said...

Lite Bright! Wonder Years! Mario! oh how I miss them all too.

Garretts said...

count me among another one of your readers who loved Girl Talk & Mall madness. I had forgotten all about the little red zit stickers though.

you may already know this, but you light brites are sort of back. they sell them in the stores. one of jack's friends has one. i loved mine and played on it for hours. i loved the little outlines you could put on to make your favorite strawberry shortcake character. i'm going to hold off on buying one for the boys though. i don't remember my brother enjoying his as much and i don't want to spend all day picking up those little pegs :)

love bfast club, but still prefer sixteen candles

fun list!

Brittany @ SouthernBrittany said...

Love this!!! Just ran across it looking for girl talk!!!