Wednesday, September 7, 2011

my $3 nightstand


A few weeks ago I scored this adorable little bedside table at a yard sale for just $3. I know what you're thinking if you glanced at the photo below... "Julia, you paid 3 whole dollars for that thing!?!" But I figured with a coat of paint and a little love and care, this nightstand would be good as new in no time. I see brilliant bloggers like Southern Hospitality, Sensible Redesign and Bird & Branch Redesign transform yard sale finds like this all the time... It's been a while since I've painted a piece of furniture, so I was excited to give this little nightstand a try...

Here she is. In all her 3 dollar glory...


First thing's first... I took the drawer out and the hardware off.


Then I took my little sanding block and started sanding away.


Then decided it was entirely too hot in the sun, so we found a shady spot to keep working.


Finally... paint time. I try to always check the "Oops" paint section at Home Depot and Lowes, and I happened to luck out this day... found a quart of creamy white for $2.50... usually $12.50.


Showing signs of promise. It took almost 3 coats, but I think it was well worth it:)


Here she is with the hardware back on. I think I'm in love.


And here she is in her new home. I adore the spindle legs and the little backboard thingie. It's such a sweet table.


I feel like this nightstand is a little short for our massively large bed, but I love having the drawer to hide crap and the little shelf to keep things off the floor. Who knows, maybe I'll find another $3 nightstand... except taller? I still have paint left:)


Linking this up to the Southern Hospitality Blog this week.

15 comments:

Nikki @ Saving For A Rainy Day said...

I think it's really cute! You can always add some height to it by screwing on something you find in the wood working section at Lowes/HD. I plan on doing that with my sideboard turned buffet.

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

Julia, you did a beautiful job. I think it looks charming next to your great bed! Thanks for the mention as well.

Nikki Darlin' said...

Oh it looks amazing. Great Job.

MarieElizabeth said...

Great job, I love that you reused something insteadof something new. Such a nice addition to your room.

Shari said...

Great job! Looks awesome!

MellieButterfly said...

major score girl! love this little thing! especially the backboard thingy. great work. :)

molly b. said...

Great job, JLB! It really is such a sweet table.

Have I told you lately I miss you? Well, I do.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Julia! HOw fun that you are friends with my Lauren, love that girl. And I love your little $3 table, that is fabulous after your thrifty paint job. Way to go!

Unknown said...

I love it, Julia! I would LOVE to redo a little piece of furniture. Someday. Someday soon. You've inspired me. :)

mleslie43 said...

All I can say is that you are sooo talented! And I am not just saying that because I am your Mother! ha!

Melissa said...

Love the new and improved night stand!

Adie said...

So cute! And EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I would even be happy to pay more than $3 for one.

Salena said...

Love it!

Sexy Sadie said...

No word of a lie..I just bought the same table at Goodwill yesterday ..nice to see it re done it looks nice :)

Garretts said...

well worth the $5.50 & elbow grease! adorable. looks like a perfect fit. if only i could get up early enough to yard sale...