Tuesday, April 17, 2012

color my world challenge {paint week}


Drum roll please.... and the dresser is now MUSTARD YELLOW.

That's right folks... this week is "paint week" in the "Color My World" challenge... and I went all out and painted the dresser/hutch in our dining room mustard yellow. Go big, or go home... right?

Here's a little Before/After action for ya...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I love this little functional piece of furniture... it's been a dresser... a china hutch... craft storage... entertainment cabinet... you name it. It's been around for a while too... It used to be my Nana & Pop's... then my parents inherited it... then it came home with Lance and I after we got married. I've been thinking about painting this piece for years now... and apparently I just needed a good blog challenge to finally tackle the project:)

"Paint week" was the one part of this challenge that had me on the fence about mustard yellow. When I committed to doing this challenge, I knew I would paint this piece of furniture... but mustard yellow??? I wasn't quite sure how I felt about that...


But I headed to Lowes and bought me a quart of Valspar Gala Gold paint...

Okay... here goes nothin'...

Yep... no turning back now...

Coat 1. Eeek. What have I done?!?

Coat 4. Okay, okay... it's not so bad...

A little distressing... yes... MUCH BETTER.


After it's all said and done... I LOVE THIS PIECE! Mustard yellow and all. It was a bold move for me... totally out of my comfort zone, but I'm so pleased with the results.

We still need new knobs... and I plan to tackle that soon... but I mean, how can you not smile when you pass by this happy yellow dresser?!?

What about you? Are you participating in the Color My World Challenge? Have you been making any color changes in your home? Here's the "Color My World" schedule if you're interested...

WEEK 1 {Tuesday 4.3.12}
----------
WEEK 2 {Tuesday 4.10.12}
----------
WEEK 3 {Tuesday 4.17.12}
paint... paint something your color
----------
WEEK 4 {Tuesday 4.24.12}
fabric... use your color in something fabric-related
----------
WEEK 5 {Tuesday 5.1.12}
review... recap & review your color projects

Be sure to visit some of the other bloggers listed below to see what color changes they are making in their own home...

31 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my that looks so good! I love the color :)

Kelly said...

it looks awesome. you did such a good job..never would have thought to paint it that color but it's a great accent piece

Jessamie {Bird and Branch Redesign} said...

Holy COW, lady! It's GORGE! That baby looks SO good in her yellow dress!

Shari said...

It looks great! Yay you for going out of your comfort zone. :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks awesome! so cheery in its new coat!

Jennifer Goodin said...

i love that! it really makes a big difference! i recently colored my pantry door! i'll have to link it up!!

Danielle said...

Incredible transformation! I would have been a nervous wreck after that first coat but you stuck it out and did a great job!!

Crazy Wonderful said...

Ahhh!!! It looks insanely awesome! Totally changes the look in there - I LOVE it!

Tiffany said...

I've always been a fan of mustard yellow, so of course I think it's amazing. I love the distressing too. I'll be interested to see what knobs you add. Great job!

Flossie said...

Ok...so I have NO experience with painting furniture, but I'm considering trying a piece. Did you prime it at all? Also, did you try to paint the inside too or just get the outside done. Do you have any strong feelings about regular paint vs spray paint? Would appreciate any advice!

Maury @ Life on Mars said...

It looks awesome! So pretty and fun. I love the color you chose.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

The color is just PERFECT!!! I love the bright pop, but a little distressing! You will love this for a long time!

mleslie43 said...

Wow Julia, you never cease to amaze me! So impressed! So glad we get you and Jenna for four days at our house in May... can't wait!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

What a great color for your versatile dresser!!! You are awesome - I love that you went BIG!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

What a great color for your versatile dresser!!! You are awesome - I love that you went BIG!!

Jamie and Vashti @ Like Me Some said...

Perfect-the color is incredible on that piece! Great job!

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

that looks fantastic, I really love the color! Is it in the same room with the new rug? If yes I bet it looks awesome.

Salena said...

I love the dresser and the color!

6th Grade said...

now that was one bold move! i love it!

Ange said...

What a beautiful color choice, so bold yet warm and lovely! This makes me want mustard yellow in my home.....hmmmm.

Melissa Jo said...

I adore this color, you did such a great job distressing it! Did you just use sandpaper?

Lisa said...

Looks gorgeous! Kudos to you for jumping outside your comfort zone girl!

Hyphen Interiors said...

I LOVE that painted yellow!! It's fabulous and that tone of yellow is so perfect. Not too bright and overwhelming, as yellow can be.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Good job taking a risk with the mustard yellow! It provides such a perfect pop of color. I like the distressing too.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Good job taking a risk with the mustard yellow! It provides such a perfect pop of color. I like the distressing too.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Good job taking a risk with the mustard yellow! It provides such a perfect pop of color. I like the distressing too.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Good job taking a risk with the mustard yellow! It provides such a perfect pop of color. I like the distressing too.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Good job taking a risk with the mustard yellow! It provides such a perfect pop of color. I like the distressing too.

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

I can't even tell you how much I love this! I think that yellow is a perfect shade, and you distressed it perfectly.

MellieButterfly said...

omg! it's beautiful!!!!! so in love with this piece. i never have the guts to follow through with painting furniture like this. you have inspired me girl!! :)

Garretts said...

turned out awesome. really makes those fantastic patterned drapes stand out more too!