Wednesday, August 29, 2012

dear diary :: anxiety vs. trust


Dear Diary,

Why is it that in the battle of 'anxiety vs. trust', anxiety always seems to win out?  Are the weapons of worry and stress stronger than faith and belief?  Is overwhelming fear more powerful than overwhelming hope?  Does anxiety defeat trust?

Or is anxiety just easier?

Somedays it just seems easier to fall victim to the overwhelming stresses of life.  But in my internal battle of anxiety, am I doubting God or trusting God?

Doubt is easy.  Trust is hard.

We have been so programmed to go... and do... and fix... that the mere thought of opening our hands and trusting God seems so foreign.

Instead of, "go... and do... and fix..." 

What if we were to, "stop... and pray... and trust"??

Is it easier to hold your hand in a tight fist or rest it open?  (go ahead, try it...)  Yet, we still grasp so tightly to our "to-do lists" and "life plans" that we rarely see any room for how God can fit into our tiny balled up fists.  When I'm consumed by the overwhelming stresses of life, I'm failing to see the actual Giver of life himself.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Anxiety vs. Trust.  Anxiety may seem easier, but trust is always more powerful.

Love,
Julia

7 comments:

Ariane said...

That's how I felt during infertility. When I finally let go and put my trust in God and His plan, miracles happened! Giving up control is so hard though....

ange said...

I know this struggle all too well, I've dealt with anxiety since I was a child. Anxiety is easy and I dare think sometimes safe, we know what to expect with worry and anxiety. It feels like control when really it is controlling us. Praying for trust.

Stacie Jean said...

Love. Love. Love. As always so well written and made me stop and think. I'm so proud of you. xoxo

mleslie43 said...

Just happened to read this verse this morning...and had to share...
Phil 4:6-7 Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Wow, even though I have read this before it really helped me today! Thanks Julia for sharing. Love you!

Anonymous said...

So glad you posted this; I needed to read it. One of my favorite verses is Phil 4:6-7. It reminds me to stop worrying, which for me to do is pretty much impossible. :)

Demetrius and Amy said...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just decide to stop the worry? The worry cant just go away... It has to be replaced by a greater sense of trust in the one who can carry the burden and comfort the soul. I have found the more I remember, count and recount the blessings or gifts of the past, the greater the trust in the present circumstance. I love you dear friend.

Connie Leon said...

Thank you for sharing...definitely need to TRUST this week..lots... :)