Monday, September 9, 2013

book problems

I have a problem.

You see... I love to read.  Like, really... I do.  But for whatever reason I can't seem to commit to my books.  If one is too serious, I go out in search of a funny one... if one is too light-hearted, I start looking for something deeper.  It's a problem really.

I'm in a book-love-affair.  It's gotten a bit out of hand actually.  Here's what I'm currently reading...
 
-Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (by Mindy Kaling) 
I'm probably the most committed to Mindy right now.  She stays in my car and I read a chapter or two pretty much everyday during lunch.  She seriously cracks me up.  I honestly think we are friends right now.  I talk about her to my husband... me: "Lance, did I tell you what Mindy says about 'hooking up'?!? ...it's hilarious."  Lance: "You don't know her, by the way."  

-Kisses from Katie (by Katie Davis)
This is a great book about a young girl living in Uganda, learning to love and care for the widows and the orphans.  This chic is like 23 years old and her life both convicts and inspires me in so many ways.  This book sits on my bedside table and on the nights that I manage to crawl under the covers before midnight I will read a chapter or two.

-A Voice in the Wind (by Francine Rivers)
Okay... I have tried to start this book three different times now... and every single time I seem to get stuck around the end of chapter 2.  This is the first book in a trilogy series called "Mark of the Lion" and I have heard so many wonderful recommendations on this series.  This is also the same author that wrote my all-time favorite book, "Redeeming Love" so, there's really no reason why I shouldn't be able to push through on this book... just can't seem to make it happen.

-The Great Gatsby (by F. Scott Fitzgerald)
I attempted this classic shortly after the recent Leonardo Dicaprio movie came out.  It's been on my classic book list for quite some time now... and it actually seems to be a pretty easy read.  I kept this book in my car and was reading it periodically on my lunch break... that is, until I lost it somewhere in the depths of my car.  I just now found it so I could write this blog post.

And if that wasn't enough... I'm also listening to an audio book called The Next Best Thing (by Jennifer Weiner).  Yep.  I have problems.

Because just in case I didn't have enough reading to do.... here are the books I'm currently hoarding by my nightstand... 
Dying to start these...

-The Little Prince (by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

-The Sweetest Hallelujah (by Elaine Hussey)

-The Atonement Child (by Francine Rivers)

-A Dream So Big (by Steve Peifer)

Sooooo.... yeah.  I'd say I have commitment issues.  What about you?  Are you a committed reader?  Have you read any of the above books?  Any recommendations?  Because I'm sure I'll be adding another handful of novels to the bedside table soon:)  Problems, I tell ya... problems. 

6 comments:

Steve Peifer said...

You'd be happier reading A Dream So Big first.

mleslie43 said...

I agree with Steve Peifer (comment above)! Especially since you are getting ready to go to Uganda very soon! Just sayin'

Rebecca Jo said...

I love books... always have something near by to read.

Right now, I have been able to preview Mitch Albom's new book "The first phone call from heaven" - I can't put it down...

I just read The Great Gatsby before the movie came out... loved it... the movie was so well done to the book really - comparatively speaking since they usually botch up the movies to what a book is like.

I'm going to have to check out some on your list... I'm always looking for good reads.

Garretts said...

I have a similar problem. I like to read funny stuff. Tina Fey's Bossypants was HILARIOUS!

I also like self-help, spiritually encouraging books. Our MOPS group just started, Desperate by Sarah Mae & Sally Clarkson

And autobiographies are another weakness of mine. I started "Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert" a couple weeks ago.

So, I can't offer any advice. I am almost always in to about 3 different books at one time. I share your problem :)

Christiana A said...

Oh wow Redeeming love is a favorite of mine also. I love Francine rivers books as well. Will definitely be picking up some new read from your list :)

Flossie said...

I love anything by Francine Rivers but I haven't read that trilogy. I've been watching for Kisses From Katie at the used bookstore but haven't seen it yet. I can't read more than one at a time though. I get confused.