Sunday, July 18, 2010

one of the last weekends...

As our time here in Georgia starts to come to an end, I find myself wanting to "do this" one last time and "go there" one more time... You know, jam-pack as many memories into my last month as humanly possible. This weekend was a good start. It was filled with sites (and traffic) from the city, to some of my favorite people from Habersham.

Friday night I went out for sushi with a really close Habersham girlfriend, who will also be making a major move shortly. We caught up over salmon and tenkas rolls... then decided to drive even further into the city so I could experience one of her very own Atlanta favorites, Cafe Intermezzo. This was my first time, and it did not disappoint. Any place that specializes in desserts and fun cocktails, holds a special place in my heart. It was amazing... they had two huge refrigerated cases stuffed FULL with desserts of every kind. Cheesecakes, tarts, fruit cakes, chocolates, pies, custards, and everything in between.

It was absolutely fabulous. If you live in the Atlanta area, I strongly recommend a visit to Cafe Intermezzo.

Then on Saturday, I was able to do two things that Atlanta is known best for...

Traffic...
... and the Atlanta Braves.
My company hosted a night out at Turner Field for all of it's employees on Saturday evening. So Lance and I left Habersham at 4:00pm so we could make it to the ballpark at 5:30. Well... at 6:45, we finally stepped foot into Turner Field. Nothing like good ol' Atlanta traffic. We did have a good time watching the Bravos though. Sadly, they didn't pull out a 'W' against the Milwaukee Brewers on Saturday night, and ended up tying the series 2-2. But still, there is just something about the atmosphere of actually being at the ballpark... the hot dogs, the peanuts, the cotton candy, the 7th Inning Stretch... you just can't beat it.

Sunday didn't disappoint either. We had a great cookout with our sunday school class out at "the cabin." It was the perfect definition of summertime. The smell of burgers and hotdogs on the grill, the sound of kids playing in the water, the feel of a summer breeze right before an afternoon rain shower... It was a good time with some very cherished friends. We have been so blessed to be a part of this group over the past few years.

We also were invited to eat dinner at our old house. Last year we sold our house to one of the nicest couples ever. We have been lucky enough to keep in touch with them, and they wanted to have us over for dinner before we moved to Louisville.
I don't think words can really describe how much we loved this house. We built it ourselves and put so much of our heart and soul into it. Lance laid down the hardwood floors himself and I picked out everything from light fixtures to door knobs. It felt like our own little tree house, just tucked back in the woods.

We are so thankful that the new homeowners love this house as much as we did. They have done some beautiful things with the yard and have added their own special touch here and there. We are also so thankful that we were able to sell it when we did, and by nothing short of a miracle were even able to make a small profit on our sale (more on this story another day). It is because we sold this house a year ago, that we have the freedom to pack up and move to Louisville now.

After visiting the old house, I have a project idea brewing in my mind... something of a "home is where the heart is" type of project. See what Elise did here. More on this project in the coming weeks.

But overall, it was a wonderful weekend... filled with memorable moments with cherished friends and family.

5 comments:

Lindsey Brackett said...

we loved spending Sunday with you too! Such great pics of the kiddos having a wonderful time. epitomy of summer. I wish you weren't leaving just as we are getting to know you,but I plan to stalk you via this blog, so keep it coming!

Garretts said...

awww...i'm getting sad. glad you are getting to soak up lots of fun memories before you guys go. no doubt you'll cherish them. hate we missed the cookout at the cabin..i know it would have been a blast. wish i hadn't been out of town.

molly b. said...

pretty sure i'm gonna have to copy you copying elise... just sayin'

Courtney said...

1. I am pretty much obsessed with Cafe Intermezzo. 2. Thank you for the score on the Braves game...I never watched a second of it. 3. I will miss you!

Stacie Jean said...

Cafe Intermezzo is the bomb{dot}com.
I also didn't watch the game but I did love the cotton candy. Thanks again!