Wednesday, March 31, 2010

book review...

Again, let me preface this post by saying I am a horribly inconsistent reader. Please notice in my "About Me" section to the right, that I describe myself as an inconsistent bookworm. I honestly want to read more, and I am definitely good at shopping for books... I just seem to have a problem actually making time to read them. Okay, now that being said, let's continue with the book review...

PUSH (or Precious): This is the book that the popular movie "Precious" was filmed after. The author's name is Sapphire and it's a pretty quick read. I'm not quite sure how to describe this story. I, personally, have not seen the movie yet, so I'm unable to compare book v. big screen. But I will say that PUSH is a rather troubling story. It's insane and heartbreaking to realize that the events described in this book actually happen to girls/women every day. Sapphire writes this novel in such a way that it disturbs you and intrigues you all at the same time. I definitely recommend it, but with caution.

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: Lance finished this book by Donald Miller a few months ago, and I have stolen it since then. I have heard great reviews about Miller's writings, and so far, it's all proving to be true. He is funny and quick-witted. He is the male-version of another one of my favorite authors, Anne Lamott. This book is basically about his journey through life and how he has learned to record and cherish all of life's moments and memories. I'm still at the beginning, so I'll give the full review later.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: I did actually finish the first Harry Potter book (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) and surprise, surprise, I actually liked it. When I posted my first book review, I wasn't crazy about Harry, and wasn't really getting what all the Hogwart's hype was about. However, when I finally finished book number one, I was hooked (well, at least hooked enough to start book number two). I'm not quite sure how long my love affair will last with Harry, but my ultimate goal is to finish all 7 books in the series... so we'll see.

Craft, Inc: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business: This book is currently riding around with me in the backseat of my car. I have only read a few pages, but have found it very interesting thus far. It is full of helpful business ideas and creative tidbits, and is absolutely perfect for waiting room or lunch-time reading.



Shopaholic Takes Manhattan: Sophie Kinsella is providing me with commuter entertainment. I checked this audio book out from my local library a few months ago. It always takes me a while to get through a full audio book, as I only listen on my way home from work, assuming I'm not blabbing on the cell phone. I listened to the original "Confessions of a Shopaholic" a while back and really enjoyed Sophie's style of writing. The Shopaholic series are fun, light-hearted, and ease the pain of commuter traffic. I also love the audio book narrator on this novel, Emily Gray. I have decided that my favorite audio books are all read by British women. I will quit listening to an audio book solely based on the reader's voice. Is that strange?

1 comment:

Liz said...

1st of all - thanks for the book reviews. I love to read and never know what to get. I think I must have gotten The Glass Castle from you, which was very good. 2nd of all - I heart Harry Potter. I had to read it in college for a lit class. The books are so good. Favorites are book 4, and 6-7. Keep reading them. Movies are good too, but read the books first.